Friday, November 16, 2007

Atheists: The New Evangelicals (Part 3: The Continuing Search)

Continued from Part 2...

And so there we have it. Older atheists such as those in WASH are bitter and curmudgeonly, and younger atheists such as those in the Beltway Atheists are arrogant and dismissive. Both groups seemed intolerant, and anyone who wants to be an atheist only has these choices to look forward to, right?

Of course not. The broad strokes that I've painted these two groups with go against the very creed implied in this blog. There are many different facets to everything, and in order to equivocate, one must look at all aspects. First of all, one common aspect was their atheism, which I share. Second, all seemed educated, well-read, and interested in a sense of community. Unfortunately for me, all these aspects alone were not enough to establish a relationship with either of these groups. The vibes of arrogance and intolerance were too much for me to deal with, because I came to realize that I was not simply searching for a group of atheists with whom to hang; I was looking for a community to where I would feel comfortable taking my future children.

Now, where could that community be? Where could one find tolerance of all, where the goodness of humanity was thought to be universal, where there was a unity of spirit focused on the improvement of life here on Earth? (You can tell where I'm going with this...)

The very first moment I set foot at the Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church, I felt comfortable. I'm not a fan of congregations, because there's a little too much groupthink for me, but after sitting through the service (which was about unity through humanity and not through worship) I got to know the members and the spiritual education that was offered. To say that they were ecumenical is an understatement. Acceptance was a way of life, as was fostering a spirit of improvement, not just of the self, but also of the community and the planet. Focus was not on any hypothetical afterlife, but on the here and now. Good deeds were performed not to score points for admission into heaven or good karma, but to benefit the one mortal life we lead.

So it seems like I found a place where my family and I could go once a week and have a good time. Hooray! Yet there is still this little voice inside telling me that I'm being a hypocrite for praising a church, when the whole idea of organized religion rubs me the wrong way! But then I realized that it's not about me anymore. I have a child on the way; this is about her. I've already discovered my own path to truth, and it took a long time. By teaching my child what everyone believes in, she'll better understand the world and its people. And I feel this is the best place for her to learn.

No belief can be forced upon another. Just as democracy cannot be spread at the point of a gun, religion or atheism cannot be spread by animosity. The message has to be relayed by example. If a person is good and reasonable, then conversations can be held. With conversation comes education, and with education, ignorance and irrationality will hopefully be purged. It's not that truth will set us free, but truth will allow us to leap further.

4 comments:

Gayle said...

Between you and Heather, you're making me want to check out this church.

Anonymous said...

Hey Omar,

I've been checking out your blogs lately. Very thought-provoking. Thanks for that. :) Anyway, I'm writing because last night I saw an article in the Dec 3rd issue of Time that talked specifically about what you touch on here--moral education for the children of Atheists in lieu of religious Sunday school. You're always a step ahead with your finger on America's pulse! Haha, but you might want to check it out anyway.

Cheers,
Becca

Omar said...

Hey, Becca!

I found the article in TIME (no pun intended), and it was a nice read, but what worried me is that it seemed the children weren't taught the Bible stories. I'd think that would be important, not for morality, but for general knowledge. A kid who doesn't know about Noah and the Ark could get shunned just as much as a kid who doesn't know about Sesame Street!

Anonymous said...

Hi again Omar,

I agree with you whole-heartedly. . .regardless of what religion or convictions one uses to raise a child, the child should always be made aware of what else is out there at least in general terms. There's a child at my school who is (well, his parents are anyway) a Jehovah's Witness, and they apparently do not celebrate any holidays. I told the father straight out that I talk about holidays with my ESOL kids, because they need to learn about the cultural aspects of America. I told him I always present them with the preface "Some people believe. . ." and that I try and mention as many different holidays as I am aware of (which is probably more than the average American, at least) but that I feel it is important for them to know about holidays and what others believe. He agreed-thankfully. I consider the bible to be a very interesting read, culturally speaking. I find different translations of it very interesting as well.

Becca

PS Will you be gracing us with your presence at the next writers' meeting, or is that too close to Helena's birth to know for sure?